Thursday, December 27, 2012

Zymurgy

I admit, I had to look up words that start with Z to come up with my topic. Zymurgy is the branch of chemistry that deals with fermentation. You might wonder why I chose zymurgy as my topic.
Before the rise of Christianity, many of the things we take for granted today were seen as magical. Most people just drive to the grocery store and pick up some beer or wine and don't give the wonderful process of fermentation a second thought. Through fermentation starches are transformed into alcohol. What could be more magical than the transformation of one substance into another? The process of fermentation, and those who knew how to create with it, were seen as magical.
This is the thought I leave with you. As we move into the New Year, maybe we should add "Finding the magic in the everyday" to our list of resolutions and try to look at the world with the eyes of our ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment